Beirut Lebanon


Index Outside
DSC00436.jpg
DSC00436
IMG_6325.jpg
IMG_6325
IMG_6326.jpg
IMG_6326
IMG_6327.jpg
IMG_6327
IMG_6328.jpg
IMG_6328
IMG_6329.jpg
IMG_6329
IMG_6330.jpg
IMG_6330
IMG_6331.jpg
IMG_6331
IMG_6332.jpg
IMG_6332
IMG_6333.jpg
IMG_6333
IMG_6334.jpg
IMG_6334
IMG_6335.jpg
IMG_6335
IMG_6336.jpg
IMG_6336
IMG_6337.jpg
IMG_6337
IMG_6338.jpg
IMG_6338
IMG_6339.jpg
IMG_6339
IMG_6340.jpg
IMG_6340
IMG_6341.jpg
IMG_6341
IMG_6342.jpg
IMG_6342
IMG_6343.jpg
IMG_6343
IMG_6344.jpg
IMG_6344
IMG_6345.jpg
IMG_6345
IMG_6346.jpg
IMG_6346
IMG_6347.jpg
IMG_6347
IMG_6348.jpg
IMG_6348
IMG_6349.jpg
IMG_6349
IMG_6352.jpg
IMG_6352
IMG_6353.jpg
IMG_6353
IMG_6354.jpg
IMG_6354
IMG_6355.jpg
IMG_6355
IMG_6356.jpg
IMG_6356
IMG_6357.jpg
IMG_6357
IMG_6358.jpg
IMG_6358
IMG_6359.jpg
IMG_6359
IMG_6360.jpg
IMG_6360
IMG_6361.jpg
IMG_6361
IMG_6362.jpg
IMG_6362
IMG_6363.jpg
IMG_6363
IMG_6364.jpg
IMG_6364
IMG_6365.jpg
IMG_6365
IMG_6366.jpg
IMG_6366
IMG_6367.jpg
IMG_6367

The story of the National Museum started in 1919 with a small group of ancient artifacts, which had been collected by Raymond Weill, a French officer stationed in Lebanon. These objects were displayed in one of the rooms of the German Deaconesses building in Georges Picot Street in Beirut. This exhibition hall served as a temporary museum.

A founding committee was created in 1923 with the task of raising funds to build a museum on a land parcel located on the road to Damascus, near the hippodrome. The plans presented by architects Antoine Nahas and Pierre Leprince Ringuet were accepted by the committee which was headed by Bechara el Khoury, then Prime Minister and Minister of Education and Fine Arts of the Lebanese Republic.

Building activities began in 1930 and were completed in 1937. The Museum was inaugurated on May 27, 1942 by Alfred Naccache, then President of the Lebanese Republic. In 1937, Emir Maurice Chehab, Curator of the Beirut Museum, declared that the new building would house all antiquities uncovered on Lebanese territory.

Until 1975, the Museum visitors could admire a large collection of beautiful objects ranging over a very long chronological period, from Prehistory to the 19th c. AD. Within 30 years the Museum's collection had substantially increased by the addition of artifacts found in recent excavations (sarcophagi, mosaics, jewelry, coins, ceramics, woodwork, weapons).

The National Museum is considered to be one of the most significant Near Eastern museums because of its rich collection. Its importance lies however in the fact that it is part of the Directorate General of Antiquities: excavations undertaken by the latter constantly add new objects to the wealth of the displayed collections.

1975 : The National Museum closed its doors when the Lebanese war broke out.

When the tragic events started in 1975, the situation in the vicinity of the Museum and the Directorate General of Antiquities rapidly and dangerously deteriorated. Both buildings were unfortunately located on the demarcation line, which has divided Beirut into two antagonistic areas for more than seventeen years. The Museum was not only a witness but also a victim of the raging war and the main road next to it came to be ironically called the "Museum Passage" because it was the main communication route between both parts of Beirut during the war.

Due to these events, the authorities decided to close the Museum temporarily in the hope that the situation will rapidly calm down. But their expectations were deceived and the country sank, day after day, in an endless cycle of violence. No one was prepared to face this long war and no one ever imagined that the National Museum would turn into a barrack for armed elements.

The first protection measures inside the Museum were taken while fire-shells and moments of truce alternated. Small finds, the most vulnerable objects of the collection, were removed from the showcases and hidden in storerooms in the basement. The latter was walled up banning any access to the lower floors.

On the ground floor, mosaics, which had been fitted in the pavement, were covered with a layer of concrete. Other large and heavy objects, such as statues and sarcophagi, were protected by sandbags. When the situation reached its worst in 1982, the sandbags were replaced by concrete cases built around a wooden structure surrounding the monument.

Further info: Beirut National Museum - Lebanon