Beirut Lebanon


Index 2 Second Floor
IMG_6283.jpg
IMG_6283
IMG_6284.jpg
IMG_6284
IMG_6285.jpg
IMG_6285
IMG_6286.jpg
IMG_6286
IMG_6287.jpg
IMG_6287
IMG_6288.jpg
IMG_6288
IMG_6289.jpg
IMG_6289
IMG_6290.jpg
IMG_6290
IMG_6291.jpg
IMG_6291
IMG_6292.jpg
IMG_6292
IMG_6293.jpg
IMG_6293
IMG_6294.jpg
IMG_6294
IMG_6295.jpg
IMG_6295
IMG_6296.jpg
IMG_6296
IMG_6297.jpg
IMG_6297
IMG_6299.jpg
IMG_6299
IMG_6300.jpg
IMG_6300
IMG_6302.jpg
IMG_6302
IMG_6303.jpg
IMG_6303
IMG_6304.jpg
IMG_6304
IMG_6305.jpg
IMG_6305
IMG_6306.jpg
IMG_6306
IMG_6307.jpg
IMG_6307
IMG_6308.jpg
IMG_6308
IMG_6309.jpg
IMG_6309
IMG_6310.jpg
IMG_6310
IMG_6311.jpg
IMG_6311
IMG_6312.jpg
IMG_6312
IMG_6313.jpg
IMG_6313
IMG_6314.jpg
IMG_6314
IMG_6315.jpg
IMG_6315
IMG_6316.jpg
IMG_6316
IMG_6317.jpg
IMG_6317
IMG_6318.jpg
IMG_6318
IMG_6319.jpg
IMG_6319
IMG_6320.jpg
IMG_6320
IMG_6321.jpg
IMG_6321
IMG_6322.jpg
IMG_6322
IMG_6323.jpg
IMG_6323
IMG_6324.jpg
IMG_6324

The story of the National Museum started in 1919 with a small group of ancient artifacts, which had been collected by Raymond Weill, a French officer stationed in Lebanon. These objects were displayed in one of the rooms of the German Deaconesses building in Georges Picot Street in Beirut. This exhibition hall served as a temporary museum.

A founding committee was created in 1923 with the task of raising funds to build a museum on a land parcel located on the road to Damascus, near the hippodrome. The plans presented by architects Antoine Nahas and Pierre Leprince Ringuet were accepted by the committee which was headed by Bechara el Khoury, then Prime Minister and Minister of Education and Fine Arts of the Lebanese Republic.

Building activities began in 1930 and were completed in 1937. The Museum was inaugurated on May 27, 1942 by Alfred Naccache, then President of the Lebanese Republic. In 1937, Emir Maurice Chehab, Curator of the Beirut Museum, declared that the new building would house all antiquities uncovered on Lebanese territory.

Until 1975, the Museum visitors could admire a large collection of beautiful objects ranging over a very long chronological period, from Prehistory to the 19th c. AD. Within 30 years the Museum's collection had substantially increased by the addition of artifacts found in recent excavations (sarcophagi, mosaics, jewelry, coins, ceramics, woodwork, weapons).

The National Museum is considered to be one of the most significant Near Eastern museums because of its rich collection. Its importance lies however in the fact that it is part of the Directorate General of Antiquities: excavations undertaken by the latter constantly add new objects to the wealth of the displayed collections.

1975 : The National Museum closed its doors when the Lebanese war broke out.

When the tragic events started in 1975, the situation in the vicinity of the Museum and the Directorate General of Antiquities rapidly and dangerously deteriorated. Both buildings were unfortunately located on the demarcation line, which has divided Beirut into two antagonistic areas for more than seventeen years. The Museum was not only a witness but also a victim of the raging war and the main road next to it came to be ironically called the "Museum Passage" because it was the main communication route between both parts of Beirut during the war.

Due to these events, the authorities decided to close the Museum temporarily in the hope that the situation will rapidly calm down. But their expectations were deceived and the country sank, day after day, in an endless cycle of violence. No one was prepared to face this long war and no one ever imagined that the National Museum would turn into a barrack for armed elements.

The first protection measures inside the Museum were taken while fire-shells and moments of truce alternated. Small finds, the most vulnerable objects of the collection, were removed from the showcases and hidden in storerooms in the basement. The latter was walled up banning any access to the lower floors.

On the ground floor, mosaics, which had been fitted in the pavement, were covered with a layer of concrete. Other large and heavy objects, such as statues and sarcophagi, were protected by sandbags. When the situation reached its worst in 1982, the sandbags were replaced by concrete cases built around a wooden structure surrounding the monument.

Further info: Beirut National Museum - Lebanon