Beirut Lebanon


Index 1 First Floor
IMG_6188.jpg
IMG_6188
IMG_6189.jpg
IMG_6189
IMG_6190.jpg
IMG_6190
IMG_6191.jpg
IMG_6191
IMG_6192.jpg
IMG_6192
IMG_6193.jpg
IMG_6193
IMG_6194.jpg
IMG_6194
IMG_6195.jpg
IMG_6195
IMG_6196.jpg
IMG_6196
IMG_6197.jpg
IMG_6197
IMG_6198.jpg
IMG_6198
IMG_6199.jpg
IMG_6199
IMG_6200.jpg
IMG_6200
IMG_6201.jpg
IMG_6201
IMG_6202.jpg
IMG_6202
IMG_6203.jpg
IMG_6203
IMG_6204.jpg
IMG_6204
IMG_6205.jpg
IMG_6205
IMG_6206.jpg
IMG_6206
IMG_6207.jpg
IMG_6207
IMG_6208.jpg
IMG_6208
IMG_6209.jpg
IMG_6209
IMG_6210.jpg
IMG_6210
IMG_6212.jpg
IMG_6212
IMG_6214.jpg
IMG_6214
IMG_6215.jpg
IMG_6215
IMG_6216.jpg
IMG_6216
IMG_6217.jpg
IMG_6217
IMG_6218.jpg
IMG_6218
IMG_6220.jpg
IMG_6220
IMG_6221.jpg
IMG_6221
IMG_6222.jpg
IMG_6222
IMG_6223.jpg
IMG_6223
IMG_6224.jpg
IMG_6224
IMG_6225.jpg
IMG_6225
IMG_6226.jpg
IMG_6226
IMG_6227.jpg
IMG_6227
IMG_6228.jpg
IMG_6228
IMG_6229.jpg
IMG_6229
IMG_6230.jpg
IMG_6230
IMG_6231.jpg
IMG_6231
IMG_6232.jpg
IMG_6232
IMG_6233.jpg
IMG_6233
IMG_6234.jpg
IMG_6234
IMG_6235.jpg
IMG_6235
IMG_6236.jpg
IMG_6236
IMG_6237.jpg
IMG_6237
IMG_6238.jpg
IMG_6238
IMG_6239.jpg
IMG_6239
IMG_6240.jpg
IMG_6240
IMG_6241.jpg
IMG_6241
IMG_6242.jpg
IMG_6242
IMG_6243.jpg
IMG_6243
IMG_6244.jpg
IMG_6244
IMG_6245.jpg
IMG_6245
IMG_6246.jpg
IMG_6246
IMG_6247.jpg
IMG_6247
IMG_6248.jpg
IMG_6248
IMG_6249.jpg
IMG_6249
IMG_6250.jpg
IMG_6250
IMG_6251.jpg
IMG_6251
IMG_6252.jpg
IMG_6252
IMG_6253.jpg
IMG_6253
IMG_6254.jpg
IMG_6254
IMG_6255.jpg
IMG_6255
IMG_6256.jpg
IMG_6256
IMG_6257.jpg
IMG_6257
IMG_6258.jpg
IMG_6258
IMG_6259.jpg
IMG_6259
IMG_6260.jpg
IMG_6260
IMG_6261.jpg
IMG_6261
IMG_6262.jpg
IMG_6262
IMG_6263.jpg
IMG_6263
IMG_6264.jpg
IMG_6264
IMG_6265.jpg
IMG_6265
IMG_6266.jpg
IMG_6266
IMG_6267.jpg
IMG_6267
IMG_6268.jpg
IMG_6268
IMG_6269.jpg
IMG_6269
IMG_6270.jpg
IMG_6270
IMG_6271.jpg
IMG_6271
IMG_6272.jpg
IMG_6272
IMG_6273.jpg
IMG_6273
IMG_6274.jpg
IMG_6274
IMG_6275.jpg
IMG_6275
IMG_6276.jpg
IMG_6276
IMG_6277.jpg
IMG_6277
IMG_6278.jpg
IMG_6278
IMG_6279.jpg
IMG_6279
IMG_6280.jpg
IMG_6280
IMG_6281.jpg
IMG_6281
IMG_6282.jpg
IMG_6282

The story of the National Museum started in 1919 with a small group of ancient artifacts, which had been collected by Raymond Weill, a French officer stationed in Lebanon. These objects were displayed in one of the rooms of the German Deaconesses building in Georges Picot Street in Beirut. This exhibition hall served as a temporary museum.

A founding committee was created in 1923 with the task of raising funds to build a museum on a land parcel located on the road to Damascus, near the hippodrome. The plans presented by architects Antoine Nahas and Pierre Leprince Ringuet were accepted by the committee which was headed by Bechara el Khoury, then Prime Minister and Minister of Education and Fine Arts of the Lebanese Republic.

Building activities began in 1930 and were completed in 1937. The Museum was inaugurated on May 27, 1942 by Alfred Naccache, then President of the Lebanese Republic. In 1937, Emir Maurice Chehab, Curator of the Beirut Museum, declared that the new building would house all antiquities uncovered on Lebanese territory.

Until 1975, the Museum visitors could admire a large collection of beautiful objects ranging over a very long chronological period, from Prehistory to the 19th c. AD. Within 30 years the Museum's collection had substantially increased by the addition of artifacts found in recent excavations (sarcophagi, mosaics, jewelry, coins, ceramics, woodwork, weapons).

The National Museum is considered to be one of the most significant Near Eastern museums because of its rich collection. Its importance lies however in the fact that it is part of the Directorate General of Antiquities: excavations undertaken by the latter constantly add new objects to the wealth of the displayed collections.

1975 : The National Museum closed its doors when the Lebanese war broke out.

When the tragic events started in 1975, the situation in the vicinity of the Museum and the Directorate General of Antiquities rapidly and dangerously deteriorated. Both buildings were unfortunately located on the demarcation line, which has divided Beirut into two antagonistic areas for more than seventeen years. The Museum was not only a witness but also a victim of the raging war and the main road next to it came to be ironically called the "Museum Passage" because it was the main communication route between both parts of Beirut during the war.

Due to these events, the authorities decided to close the Museum temporarily in the hope that the situation will rapidly calm down. But their expectations were deceived and the country sank, day after day, in an endless cycle of violence. No one was prepared to face this long war and no one ever imagined that the National Museum would turn into a barrack for armed elements.

The first protection measures inside the Museum were taken while fire-shells and moments of truce alternated. Small finds, the most vulnerable objects of the collection, were removed from the showcases and hidden in storerooms in the basement. The latter was walled up banning any access to the lower floors.

On the ground floor, mosaics, which had been fitted in the pavement, were covered with a layer of concrete. Other large and heavy objects, such as statues and sarcophagi, were protected by sandbags. When the situation reached its worst in 1982, the sandbags were replaced by concrete cases built around a wooden structure surrounding the monument.

Further info: Beirut National Museum - Lebanon